Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I love Asians!

Today I met Joyce.  She was an orthodontic patient and had a really cute personality.  I saw that she was missing 7 teeth and I immediately got nervous.  How was I going to be able to tell which teeth were missing for sure?  1st premolars or 2nd premolars?  I looked for the diastemas and managed to mark all the right teeth as extracted (except one).  I felt really glad that I was able to swing that!  It seemed to take forever to get through OHI...probing, charting all restorations, caries, tissue characteristics, etc but I managed to catch EVERYTHING except coated tongue.  Its hard to know what qualifies as coated tongue cause Ive marked it before and was told the person hadnt gotten to that point yet.  But seeing her tongue after being told that it was coated tongue gave me a better idea.  After entering this program, I have been super particular about brushing my tongue.  It humors my husband sometimes.  Anyway, I probed accurately, even with braces to navigate around.  That felt good.  At her next appointment Ive been told to use the US on its lowest setting.  Im so excited!  Goal for next time: explore before using a scaler...sometimes I use the scaler with an exploratory stroke, but Im going to be more careful about my scaling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment