Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Chatting up the hair stylist

Rachel came in as my first patient for the semester.  Can I just say how much I enjoy this girl?  Not only does she do an exceptional job of cutting and styling my hair, but she makes for one awesome patient!  My goal was to get through the day.  I was a little intimidated by the tasks at hand.  After going through an OD and scaling 1 quad, I had CA Duty.  I expected it to be a long day, and while I admit that I left it fatiqued, it wasnt as draining as I expected.  Rachel was a Class 1B.  I did better with my probing than I did with Sharlene at the end of last semester.  After scaling one quad, Instructor Caldwell couldn't find any missed areas.  That was the best feeling in the world!  I hope to be an efficient scaler.  Im sure everyone does.  I considered it a great compliment that throughout the appointment, Rachel kept falling asleep.  I could tell I had lost her when she'd go to close her mouth on my hand. ;)  I have always considered it a compliment when people fall asleep in my car as I drive.  It seems to indicate that they trust me as a driver and that they are comfortable.  I can't imagine that it is any different as a patient.  If you can fall asleep as Im scaling your teeth, Im obviously not jabbing you!  Hooray!  Shes coming back Monday so that I can finish her up.  As far as CA duty goes, I have to say that I love paperwork.  I always have.  I enjoyed working at WSCU as a teller...logging stuff into computers and helping members with their membership and loan apps.  It was fun to be at a desk again, as weird as that sounds.  I got more familiar with all that is required behind the scenes to make a dental clinic operate.  Supplies run out quickly and Tori and I were spending a good share of our shift restocking and getting supplies for the girls.  I was able to start an autoclave which was good practice for me.  I need more exposure with that, I do admit.  I enjoyed being there to help the girls as they needed.  I found it really rewarding.  I hope I did a satisfactory job!  I tried.  Im glad Tori was there to help, as she has had a lot of experience working at this clinic.  Thanks Tori!

No comments:

Post a Comment