Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Air Powder Polish PE and my first child

Joyce came in to have her teeth air powder polished and brought her son to have his teeth cleaned.  I made a custom map of campus to let her know where she needed to grab a  parking pass.  Austin was very timid and leary of coming in.  Im used to my courageous niece coming and had to really work to build a relationship of trust with him.  I started by reading him marvin the magnificent molar and showing him the instruments and tools that he saw in the book.  Then I asked if I could count his teeth.  I told him how big and awesome he was.  I made sure not to tell him he was being brave, like it was going to be difficult for him.  Offering him stickers helped.  I brought him a coloring page of someone brushing their teeth.  I need to remember to bring crayons next time.  He had to use my markers.  Instructor Hafen had a great idea.  She took a glove and filled it with water to keep him distracted.  It was of comfort to him and he was more willing to sit in his moms lap while we looked in his mouth.  He was afraid of the mask at first so I let him try one on and he was able to brush his moms teeth while I brushed his.  It was a good experience trying to enhance patient comfort and he was talking openly with me by the end of the appointment.  That felt great!  Goal for next time:  Remember to ask pt if they are interested in a headdress when I am airpowder polishing.  Everything else was great.  Also, leave more time for Peer calculus removal PE.  Im sad I wasnt able to finish that today according to my plan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment