Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Heather M = Ms. Congeniality

Heather just saved my tail feathers...again!!!  This girl is the sweetest thing on two legs.  I was hopeful that my morning patient would classify as a class III in at least 2 quadrants but as I probed and looked at her xrays, I quickly realized that she had started taking care of her teeth and that she was only a class V.  That is FANTASTIC for her, but I was bummed.  Heather, by contrast, found yet another stunningly difficult patient and because she already has 3 class IVs on her wrap sheet she offered to switch places with me so that I could use him for my class IV project.  Is that not the kindest, most charitable thing to do for a person?  I was super grateful and it gave me the opportunity to get 2 more local anesthesia experiences.  I haven't had anesthesia patients since last semester (which is strange, because last semester I was giving injections left and right).  Apparently, my craft needs a little fine tuning.  This was the first time I had to adjust my approach...but in all fairness, his anatomy was much less distinguished than other patients I have treated.  He was a very cooperative patient, however.  He has never had a cleaning and he was told to have a cleaning before he has some needed extractions.  There were a number of teeth that were so mobile that I was genuinely concerned I would pull them out with my scaler.  I learned last year to use a finger to secure the occlusal plane as I instrument mobile teeth so I did that.  It helped.  I was super happy that I missed zero areas! 

My afternoon patient was a class III...I was super excited.  He has calculus deposits on nearly every tooth surface.  I am using him as my backup for mockboards if I don't find a patient that is a little less challenging before then.  After taking 11 PAs (!!) on the poor man, I brought him back to have him assessed by Dr Hanson.  We agreed that he would be a very challenging patient but she assured me that she was confident that I could definitely pull it off.  We were 45 minutes away from walkout but she asked if I felt I could get through a quadrant of cleaning so that I could evaluate how easily his calculus deposits could be removed.  I decided to give it gusto and to try.  I zoomed and I was pleased with the turnout.  I had to throw in the towel there at the end because we have to absolutely have our patients out by 330.  I would have finished him by using my slimline and afterward, doing a ultra fine exploratory look around, but even without these things I only missed 4 places...and they were miniscule easily picked up with an explorer.  I had debrided all of the deeper root surfaces and the only deposits left were along the margins.  I did learn that its okay to use a nevi along the distal surface of a third molar.  That was surprising and helpful.

Funny story (insert later)

2 comments:

  1. Tanya, what a fantastic day you had! Great experiences all around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanya... I love this post!!! It makes me feel like a good person. but in all reality... you deserve so much more! I'm so amazed at your clinic skills. You are so sweet and dear to me. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete