Friday, January 20, 2012

Caught Up in the Moments

This week it hit me that I'm not going to be a dental hygiene student forever.
There are a lot of exciting things that I look forward to experiencing as a licensed hygienist but I will genuinely miss being with my peers and mentors in this program!

I've loved listening to Karlie W's way of teaching her patients about their oral conditions, etc.  There's so much cheerfulness and enthusiasm inflected in her voice.  I've loved being around as Adrienne and Kelsey bring out the craziest sides of themselves together.  It's been nice having Michelle and Karen around to share their years and years of experiences in the dental field.  There's probably no dental mystery out there that could elude them.  Jamie and Jodie have the best comedic timing and their funny comments ALWAYS get a laugh.  I've admired that Heather M puts so much thought into others and making sure their needs are met.  I've loved knowing that if I ever have a question about the material we are studying, Kristie is just a text away.  Brooke leaves the most thoughtful comments on our blogs.  She always makes certain that we know that we are not alone in our frustrations (or in the celebrating of our successes!).  Stefanie has the sweetest smile of all of us I think.  She's so approachable and friendly.  Love it.  Maren is so good-natured...I love how easily she laughs at herself, and its fun to watch her and Karlie N together.  MeChel fears noone and says exactly what she's thinking and I LOVE it, and there have been numerous times I've appreciated Marianne's "lets-get-to-it-iveness."   Tori is so down to earth, and she has the answers for everything clinic-related.  Sarah says the things we all want to say but fear to say...thanks for that!  Leigh's always the one to catch the comments that are drowned out by the class and right when you decide no one heard you, she makes sure to let you know someone was paying attention to you.  Kayla is great about that too!  Gosh, how I could go on...I love reading dental hygiene blogs and knowing that I'm not alone in whatever is going on that week.  I love having 29 other people to keep me in check. I've appreciated how we always take care of one another.  I've loved having the professors that we do.  We know, above anything else, that they are an advocate for us, and I think that goes a long way.  I love that we can laugh with them, learn from them, dance with them, party with them, share our concerns with them, joke with them, etc etc etc.    I've appreciated having friends that understand my lingo.  I try to explain the craziness of my life to my friends and family and if I'm lucky they'll understand maybe 30% of the things I'm talking about.  Its just so much better getting to class and being able to vent to my peers.  I love how we have type A written all over us.  I love being able to call over my shoulder for Dr. Naylor when I know my patient has caries but I'm too chicken to say it out loud.  It's going to be a whole different ball game when we can't second guess ourselves anymore!

Today I paused to watch all of us go about our busy routines in clinic...each of us has come so far.  Boards are upon us and I guess we're to that point where we have to be ready...I imagine we all are, but it's going to feel very foreign when we are on the other side of graduation and we don't have the power of what? 38 (or so) individuals on our side, reassuring us and making us feel like a thousand bucks each day? 

Everyone, thanks for making me feel like a thousand bucks each day.  This program has been a blessing in many ways.  It, of course, gives me the knowledge and skills necessary to make dental hygiene a lucrative career.  It also enables me to utilize my strengths in such a way I can meaningfully help others.  It gives me a strong network of friends that I can resource throughout my career.  This program possesses so many qualities that I have come to value and I look forward to every day I have left here.

No comments:

Post a Comment