Thursday, April 14, 2011

Finishing up those Class IIIs

Ill admit, I was nervous for a second that I wouldnt make it to that second and last quad that I needed in order to complete my patient today.  I spent a good portion of the appointment working on my patients UL quad.  Feeling pretty confident that I had removed all his deposits, I asked for Inst. Caldwell to scale check.  She found deposits on every tooth!  I wanted to cry and just about did.  She must have sensed that and told me not to be discouraged and that this would be a good learning experience for me.  She asked Inst. Hafen, a fellow leftie, to assist me in finding and removing said deposits.  Can I just say that Inst Hafen was a heavensend.  She helped me maintain optimum adaptation as I worked around the line angles of his anteriors.  I immediately felt subging deposits.  His teeth were significantly malposed on the lower anteriors.  Because of her advisement I was able to reach subging with my explorer, recognizing the anatomy of the tooth, and pull off deposits with my gracey that I KNOW i wouldnt have found without her advisement earlier.  She helped me utilize my graceys more efficiently.  I was able to feel a lot more comfortable with my scaling when in the twelve oclock and 4 oclock positions.  I used to struggle with getting stuck between the contacts, and she helped me to orient the instrument so that less of the blade reaches underneath the contact.  While I missed many deposits on the UL, I only missed two on the LL.  MARKED IMPROVEMENT.  Not only should we keep Inst. Hafen next year, we should send her a limo each morning.  ;)  I feel so ready for next semester!  Goal:  Dont forget all that Ive learned before starting up again next fall!  I cant believe Im going to be a Senior DH student! 

No comments:

Post a Comment