Monday, November 22, 2010

Real Patient Day!

I got to play with my sister-in-law today!  Sharlene came in as my first patient outside of the girls I practice on every clinic day.  I walked into the day pretty confident.  Ive been practicing my technique in a lot of areas (in scaling, probing, etc) and felt that my second year observation would help me to be organized and speedy.  I completed the health history pretty quickly and got my HHxRx signed off.  Then I went into my OD.  OD takes forever!  How on earth can I get through this faster in the future!  I dont know how hygienists ever get through an appt in 30 minutes.  That seems crazy to me.  I feel like Ill be lucky if I ever get through one quad when I have to perform an OD.  Goodness gracious!  I hope thats not the case.  I realized how hard a time I have determining sealants and restorations that are already present in the mouth.  I felt really dumb when I was being corrected.  I need to let those feelings go and just be really happy that I have educated indls there to help me learn.  I need to focus less on being critiqued.  I also need to research the appearance of these things in the mouth so I am better prepared for next semester.  Can I google something like that?  I did fair on my probing...I dont think my measurements were more than one mm off from Costleys.  She seemed somewhat unsatisfied with my probing though.  I wonder if that was just me imagining things.  I found that Shar had a stillmans cleft!  Cool to actually see one of those in the mouth.  I took fair xrays but one was cone cut.  What the heck?  I never cone cut xrays!  I pride myself on that.  I must have just been really nervous.  No matter.  I passed.  Then I was barely able to finish everything else that was required today.  I think I was the last one to get my patient out the door.  I couldnt tell you how that happened!  I dont know where Im slower than others.  Ill have to pay closer attn to how much time each thing is taking me.  Hard task.  I also want a clock in my operatory.  Its not very convenient having to look over my shoulder at Karlies.  I forget to clock my time in some instances.  In lots of instances actually.  Thats one thing I can work on.  I did well on my paperwork I think. I feel like slime for not fitting in much OHI.  That is so important.  I cheat my patients if I dont educate them.  Thank goodness she is my sister in law.  Ill make up for it on Thanksgiving. ;)  That was my day.  Now I can take a deep breath, and pray to feel more collected and at peace next semester when we take new patients.  I am really really nervous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment