Thursday, February 2, 2012

Not my best day at VA...but hey, we learn!

The morning went well.  All our patients decided to cancel, no show, or show up really late.  Adrienne learned that I haven't treated any 1Bs this semester and spent her morning trying to make sure I got a 1B.  I thought it was so cute...she's so kind.  Despite her best efforts, I ended up treating a Class V.  I was a little disappointed because the patients xrays were most definitely Class III material in the past...Class IIIs are very much appreciated by us all right now...but when I look at the big picture, its really great that this person has been able to take care of his mouth so well and that his periodontal disease is managed.  We all went to lunch (which is so nice...I love having downtime with the girls) and then the afternoon turned into a nightmare.  My patient had 11 teeth so even though he was Class IV material, I expected the appointment to go relatively quickly, without many complications.  Boy, I called that one wrong.  I pulled out all the tools in my VA arsenal and it wasn't nearly enough.  This man needed serious root planing.  When I observed Professor Bossenberger's lateral pressure against those teeth, my jaw almost dropped in awe.  Her arm was kinda shaking!  My injections weren't taking effect due to his level of infection and PB didn't seem all that impressed with my technique.  It was all in all a pretty sucky afternoon.  But, in the end, the patient was taken care of, I finally got out of there and I learned a few things so I can't really consider it a failure.  Note to self:  don't suck so much next time ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment