Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Mirror, Fulcrum, and Positioning, hooray!

Today was fantastic!  I worked with Karlie and Sarah, performing extraoral exams.  When you perform these exams, you palpate the face, nodes, and glands, taking note of any irregularities that could clue you in to a problem.  According to my reading, there are a great number of lymph nodes throughout the head and neck region.  If a person has cancer in this region, it is quite easy for it to spread to lymph nodes and throughout their body.  We can do a lot of good for our patients by taking 5 minutes to search for these potential problems.  My patients were very cute and patient with me.  When you grasp onto a method that works for you, the fear of missing a spot goes away.  Im getting closer to feeling that way.  Then we passed off the positioning PE.  I was nervous about it at first, but it wasnt a big deal at all.  It comes so naturally.  I love this major!  I really came to appreciate the convenience of using recommended clock positions when using a fulcuming technique while navigating through mouths with my mirror.  Now I have to focus on mastering HHX.  Im so scared!  I think that doing my case study will help to put my hesitations to rest.  Ill practice on my fam too.

No comments:

Post a Comment