Thursday, October 13, 2011

I Like Ice Cream

First, lets talk about the important stuff.  Like how sweet Professor Alexander is!  Thanks to her, this ^ is how I will remember my first mockboard experience.  Secondly, lets talk about Mockboards for a sec.  A lot can be learned from these experiences and I'm really glad that our professors give us the opportunity to practice before the real day comes along.  We were able to see, firsthand, the process involved in checking in our patients.  Through the experience of being a student examiner, I learned that I need to improve my exploring methods.  According to Inst. Perry, so do all the rest of us!  At least I'm not alone. ;)  He had a really healthy comment/recommendation that I need to remember...that because I am a leftie, the angles by which I feel calculus deposits are different from that of my professors/peers, etc.  It would behoove me, to explore from right as well as the left, so that I can gain the same perspective as my instructors as they perform scale checks on my patients.  This will be particularly useful on the day of boards.  I was grateful for that advice. 

I learned some other things as well. 
1.  Curved u.s. tips are fantastic and I love them! 
2.  I could use a little more one on one in learning how to use my perio files.  They do me no good right now.
3.  Don't create more work for yourself than necessary when submitting which quads you want to clean.  It was completely unnecessary for me to add two additional teeth beyond the quadrant that I specified I would be working on. 
4.  Be aware that board examiners watch the third molars like a hawk and almost look forward to marking you down for reaching those teeth.  If at all possible, I will avoid seeing a patient with third molars on my board examination.
5.  I can pass...and I did.  Thank the royal heavens.
6.  It is easy to capture third molars in supplemental films by adjusting your POD so that it has a steeper horizonal angle. 
7.  Calculus is stubborn and it needs to be taught a lesson.

1 comment:

  1. Tanya, could you teach me sometime how to adjust the horizontal angle of the POD for 3rd molars? I would love to learn this!

    ReplyDelete